Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

Attempt on the Cristo Couloir- Mt Quandary


Brian and I left for our next adventure the goal for this trip: THE CRISTO COULOIR!


We got as close to the blue lakes trail head as we could. There was a chain blocking the road about .6 miles from the dam. We arrived late, about 8PM. We started hiking about 8:30 pm, our goal to get the the basin below the west ridge route at 12,300 feet.

Due to our late start, we were hiking with head lamps. I mounted my cycling light to my climbing helmet, giving me tons of light to see my way through the talus and snow fields. We finally got close to our objective around 10:15 pm. We were about 200 meters elevation from the top of the plateau. We decided we couldn't hike any more.
We did our best to find a flat spot on the tundra to camp. Our goal for this climb was to be on the summit for sunrise. We figured it would take us about 4 hours to ascend the 1 mile and 2600 feet elevation gain.

Since we weren't planning to sleep all night, I made the executive decision to forgo setting up my tent and sleep only in our water resistant sleeping bags. Brian and I got the stove out and got the water going for a delicious dehydrated fettucini alfredo w/ chicken. Next I packed all my stuff back into my pack to keep my stuff dry, including my boots. I was sleeping great... until cold wet snow decided to blanket us...without a TENT.



My sleeping bag in the morning after the snow melted. (See all the water on the bag)







Self pic inside sleeping bag











Brian's sleeping bag pics








We woke up multiple times, waiting for the weather to clear and give us the opportunity for our summit attempt up the coulior. As you can see below, the weather never cleared.











Finished packing camp, ready to head back. Taking time to enjoy the beautiful basin, with large ridges on both sides.
































Us looking hard core on the snow!












The fun part, the glissade!









The WILD LIFE shots


<-----------
Mountain Goats


------------>
Fox





The After party!


Even though we didn't achieve either of our goals (sunrise, summit; Cristo Couloir), we had a great trip. Definitely a first camping above 12,000 feet without a tent, in a snow storm. Our Mountain Hardwear bags performed above expectation.

Until next trip...

Thanks for reading,

Dana.

No comments: