Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 02, 2007

A day in the life of a cripple

It has been a long few weeks. I have been spending Monday through Thursday working at my mothers accounting practice, moonlighting as a receptionist. Because of the exorbitant price of fossil fuels these days I've been carpooling into work with my mother, which of course includes spending 3 nights a week at her house. The best perk of this deal was the access to Tivo for recording the TOUR. Now that the tour is over I feel like I am forced into once again surfing aimlessly for anything on that's worth watching.



This is me troubleshooting a computer problem. I have spent the majority of my 1 month here trying to fix problems with both computers here at the office. Total time spent talking with Microsoft support - 4.5 hours. Number of computers requiring re-formatting---- all of them (2).

As you can see here in this pic, the fixing of the problems is going just as expected, poooorly! I feel like giving up, but then I remember I must have the Internet to waste the time away at the office. If I didn't have the Internet or computer problems, then I would be forced to do actual work.

I finally was able to get some pics of my leg prison for your viewing enjoyment


Note - cast is 5 weeks old in this picture (still sort of clean, bottom notwithstanding)


This gives some perspective to the extent of my imprisonment. Note my still great biking tan (6 week hiatus from the sun) and my left quad still looks great. I went to the doctor yesterday hoping to have this cast removed, only to be replaced with a new one that is right below my knee. Unfortunately the X-rays didn't show enough new bone growth at the break site to risk replacing the cast, so I am stuck in this monstrosity for another 3 weeks, bringing the total time in this cast to 8 weeks!



This is the arrangement that I have for maintaining my mobility in my crippled state. I am shifted out of my typical driving position to facilitate viewing of the leg position. Driving with your left foot is easier than one might think. It only took about one day to master. Although I would not want to have to explain this to the MAN! I have the foot in question proped up on a sleeping bag to help eliminate the pain of my knee trying to break through the top of the cast and take a breath of fresh air. The vehicle that you see pictured here is a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country Mini Van

With 150,000 miles on it. The day that it broke the 150,000 mark, I was blessed with a break down at Red Rocks amphitheatre. I think it was a clogged fuel injector. I was able to get running again, but it would not idle, forcing me to keep my foot on the gas (even while stopped or breaking) Now I like to see some of my faithful readers try to keep pressure on the gas peddle while applying break pressure at the same time---with only one FOOT. I made it to the shop and they gave it a much needed tune up.


Here I am driving with the only dog (Tiger) I have ever met that would smell a McDonald's french fry and not eat it.


This is the same french fry from above- note (still in tack) and the french fry was hot! Don't worry I was just surprised as you that there is an animal out there that would turn is nose up at the corner stone of the McDonald's empire-----The FRENCH FRY



This car was in font of me in the drive through to receive my delicious french fries from above. I am all for standing up for a cause that one believes in, but to obstruct one's view with that message is a little extreme

This is the license plate that I cut off above. Apparently this person is all about the messages on their car, even the license plate is a message. Well I guess that all for now, I have to try to get out of boulder before the traffic starts to get bad. Greeley here I come-- :(

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Evan Sandstrom said...

Dana,
Probably the best post you have ever done, really enjoyed it.
-E strong
PS you aren't up to Brian's update status, but good indeed

Senior Administration Official said...

I agree with Evan on the best post ever business. Your self portraits are coming along VERY well (I especially like the computer shots) and the French fry addition was quite extraordinary. This was top-notch indeed.