Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Birthday, Stitches, Vegas, Blood...Not in that order

I think that I have told many of you, but for the few that still don't know, on the first group ride on jan 27, I was the victim of an incident of panic in the "peloton". I was riding on the front of the group, i took one of my gloves off to eat a package of pina colada shot blocks, yum... After finishing the shot blocks i noticed that my hand was not cold, so i removed my other glove. At this point I decided to go the back to talk to one of the new riders on the team. Then people started hitting their brakes. My proper drafting position at the back of the pack resulted in me coming in contact with the rider in front of me who had his brakes completely locked up. Elapsed time from when I had removed my gloves before my front tire was so elegantly removed from underneath me was approximately 3-4 minutes.

Having had my fair share of experience with the ground while cycling, i knew it was in my best interest to just get back on the bike and ride back before it really started to hurt. Above is a picture that I tried to take a few minutes after it happened whilst riding back with the group. I decided that riding with no hands and my new camera out was not the greatest idea.
Here is my hand after cleaning at the urgent care center. Please note going to urgent care on sunday is not highly encouraged. The wait time I was quoted upon entering the clinic was 2 hours, i said thats fine, do you have any paper towels?
Here is the sterile field where my mini hand operation took place. It took 7 stitches to close this little adventure in human hand anatomy


Above is my hand about 30 hours after I was stitched back together.

Here is my hand today 11 days after.


Here is the proof that of my bicycle carnage. Don't worry the Orbea is fine.

Next post will be about my birthday trip to

Vegas!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, whoever it was that grabbed that handful of break must be an asshole.